Friday, June 11, 2010

Vegan Marathon Training - Natural Energy Gels

Vegan-based marathon training has served me well.  I feel fantastic - and so full of energy.  In preparation for tomorrow morning's Helvetia Half-Marathon, I am making my Electrolyte Drink and Energy Gels with natural, healthy ingredients.
My sports drink recipe comes from Brendan Brazier's book Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide.
Electrolyte Ginger Ale:
1 lemon
2 cups coconut water
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
sea salt to taste
Directions: Squeeze the juice of the lemon in a blender.  Add coconut water, agave nectar, ginger, and sea salt; blend.  Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.  Makes about 2 cups.  Brendan notes that "because of the combination of raw lemon and ginger, this drink helps raise the body's pH and reduces inflammation." One of my favourite additions to this drink, is a splash of pineapple juice.

Tomorrow, I will carry this drink in all four flasks of my Fuel Belt.  If I need water, I'll make a quick stop at a water station.

The Energy Gel recipe I'm using tomorrow, was concocted by Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows. Angela's blog is a fantastic resource for vegan/vegetarian living + active, healthy living.   

About 2 tablespoons organic brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon carob powder
tiny pinch of sea salt (I used Fleur de Sel)
Directions: Angela recommends combining ingredients in a zip-loc sandwich bag, and kneading together until combined. When I first tried mixing this way, my sandwich bag had a hole in it - and carob powder kept puffing everywhere.  Instead, I mixed the ingredients in a small ramekin - then used a spatula to put into a small snack-size zip-loc bag. 

I'm also including this next natural energy gel recipe for future reference - even though I'm not trying it during the half-marathon tomorrow.  These recipes are also from Brazier's book Thrive.  I think I'll try some of them on my following long training runs. 
Thrive Lemon-Lime Gel
4 dates
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon dulse
sea salt to taste
Directions: In a blender, combine all ingredients;  process until blend reaches a gel-like consistency.  Makes about 3/4 cup. - Keeps for about 3 days in the fridge but IS BEST when it's consumed fresh.

Thrive Coconut Carob Gel (with protein)
2 dates
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon roasted carob powder
1 tablespoon hemp protein
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
sea salt to taste
Directions: In a blender, combine all ingredients;  process until blend reaches a gel-like consistency.  Makes about 3/4 cup. Keeps for about 3 days in the fridge but IS BEST when it's consumed fresh.
 
Are there any other Vegan or Vegetarian training recipes or websites I ought to know about? Please do tell!

3 comments:

Windlost said...

I am so impressed!! Good luck and godspeed!

xo Terri

Robin said...

yes. have fun tomorrow out in the country! run, mmw. run. by the time you read this you will be done, though. look forward to hearing about it.

Di said...

How'd you do? I hope you met your goal. You're amazing for taking the time to train out of your busy life.